Angel food cake is a classic American dessert. It’s light and fluffy, not too sweet, and easy to make from scratch! This is a recipe for an easy angel food cake that will rival any bakery around! Don’t forget to make the strawberry sauce and homemade whipped cream for the ultimate tasty dessert!
- 1–3/4 cup (345 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons (133 grams) cake flour spooned & leveled. (see notes if substituting with all-purpose flour)
- 1/4 teaspoon (2 grams) salt
- 12 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1–1/2 teaspoons (6 grams) cream of tartar
- 1–1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Strawberry Sauce
- Homemade Whipped Cream
- Adjust rack to lower-middle portion of the oven, and preheat the oven to 325°F (163°C).
- In a food processor or blender, pulse the granulated sugar until the sugar is fine and powdery. Scoop out about 1 cup of the sugar and set it aside.
- Add the cake flour and salt into the food processor, along with the remaining sugar and pulse it about 8-10 times to combine and aerate the ingredients. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the egg whites and cream of tartar, and whisk until frothy using a stand or hand-held mixer at low or medium speed. It may take about a minute to get frothy.
- While mixing, you can add the reserved cup of sugar in about 3 additions. Continue mixing on medium or medium-low speed until soft peaks form. It does take a while to get to soft peaks, about 6-10 minutes.
- Add the vanilla extract, and mix until just incorporated.
- At this point, you will sift 1/3 of the cake flour mixture into the egg mixture and carefully fold it in until well incorporated. Continue this two more times until the cake flour mixture is completely added.
- Pour the cake batter into an ungreased tube pan. This is Important! You will be cooling your cake upside-down so you don’t want your cake falling out of the pan!
- Run a knife around the edge of the pan to release any bubbles, and give the pan a gentle jiggle to smooth out the top.
- Bake the cake for about 40-45 minutes, rotating it halfway through. Your angel food cake is ready to come out when an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Immediately after your remove the cake from the oven, flip the whole pan upside-down until completely cooled down, approximately 3 hours. You need to allow air to circulate around the pan so if your pan doesn’t have little feet on the top edge of the pan, you will need to flip it upside down on a cooling rack.
- Once your cake is completely cooled, you can run a knife around the edges of the pan to release the cake from the sides and inner tube of the pan. Gently tap the bottom of the pan until the cake falls out of the pan.
- Serve with strawberry sauce and homemade whipped cream.
- Store for up to 5 days in a sealed container either in the refrigerator or at room temperature.
Homemade whipped cream: https://whiskingupyum.com/homemade-whipped-cream/
Strawberry sauce recipe: https://whiskingupyum.com/strawberry-sauce/
Print out all recipes combined: https://bit.ly/3boh6mJ
- Category: Cake
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Angel Food Cake