These Apple Cinnamon Scones with Maple Frosting are a perfect combination of moist cinnamony apple chunks and irresistibly sweet maple frosting. If you love all things fall, you will love these scones! They are so quick and easy to make can be devoured in less than an hour!
For the Scones:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped apples
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1–2 teaspoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon maple extract
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and granulated sugar.
- Add cubed butter and break down the butter using a pastry cutter or fork until it resembles coarse sand with small pebbles. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the wet ingredients (whipping cream, egg, and extract.) Add wet ingredients to the large bowl, and mix until the dough comes together. Add the apple chunks and gently mix in until disbursed throughout.
- Place a sheet of parchment paper on your work surface, and lightly flour the parchment paper.
- Ball up the dough and place it into the center of the parchment paper. If it falls apart or is crumbly, work the dough by moving it around in your hands to mix the dough a little more. It will hold together more as you work it. Then, place on the parchment paper and flatten the dough into a disc approximately 1 inch thick. and cut into 8 equal-sized slices.
- Place scones on the prepared pan, leaving room for the scones to spread and rise.
- Place in the oven for 20-25 minutes until lightly golden brown. Remove from oven to cool on a baking rack
- To make the icing combine powdered sugar, milk and extract. Combine the milk a little at a time until you get a smooth consistency. When you lift the spoon the frosting should easily fall right off the spoon. Spread frosting onto the scones using the back of the spoon to smear around the frosting. Let sit for at least 10 minutes for the frosting to firm up. Do not stack scones until the frosting has solidified.
These do not store very well. Between the apple bits and the frosting, I found that they were kind of soggy within a few days. I recommend frosting them they day you plan on eating them.