If you love finding the joy in little things, you will loooove this birthday cake cookie recipe. It is soft and chewy, cake flavored and loaded with sprinkles and chocolate chips! These cookies have a way of making any day feel super special.
- 1–1/4 cup (165 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1–1/4 cup (170 grams) unprepared (dry) yellow or white cake mix
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (170 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup (170 grams) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup(130 grams) packed light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1–1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup sprinkles
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients flour, cake mix, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugars. Mix for at least a minute so that it is nice and creamy.
- Add in the vanilla and egg and mix until combined.
- Then, add the dry ingredients and mix on low-medium speed until just incorporated.
- Add in the sprinkles and chocolate chips. Be sure to reserve some of each to sprinkle on the top of the baked cookies to make the finished cookies look super cute!
- Transfer the dough to a small bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Chill in the refrigerator for at least two hours.
- Once the dough is chilled, preheat the oven to 350°F and line your cookie pans with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Scoop out heaping tablespoons of dough, or use a medium cookie scoop and roll into a balls.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until the edges are starting to turn golden brown.
- While the cookies are hot, carefully place the chocolate pieces on top of the cookies, and scatter some sprinkles on top of the cookies. You can lightly press the sprinkles so that they adhere to the top of the cookies.
- Allow the cookies to cool for about five minutes before transferring to cooling racks.
You can freeze these cookies ahead of time by rolling the dough into balls and placing them into an airtight container. You can freeze them for up to three months.
Place the frozen dough balls on the prepared baking sheet and add an additional minute to the baking time, and continue as described above.
- Category: cookies
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: american