These Carmelitas are chock full of caramel, chocolate, and pecans. However, the real star of the show is the shortbread oatmeal cookie crumble because it is subtly sweet, with tons of texture.
- 2 cups (247 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1–1/2 cups (120 grams) quick-oats
- 1 cup (215 grams) light brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 16 tablespoons (227 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 15 ounces caramel
- 2 tablespoons (28 grams) milk
- 1 cup (157 grams) chocolate chips
- 1 cup (95 grams) chopped pecans
- Preheat the oven to 350° Fahrenheit, and prepare your 9×13 baking pan by spraying it with nonstick baking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda, salt and butter. I used my fingers to incorporate everything, but you could easily use a mixer, The mixture will stick together, yet still be crumbly.
- Pour half of the mixture into the bottom of the 9×13. Use your hands to press it down into an even layer.
- Next, you will place the caramel pieces and milk into a medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for about 20-seconds at a time, and stirring in between until it is smooth and creamy. Pour the caramel sauce over the cookie base. You will want to get it spread out in an even layer if possible.
- Scatter the chopped pecans and chocolate chips on top of the caramel in an even layer.
- Then, sprinkle the remaining cookie crumble on the top.
- Bake it for 25-35 minutes. The top will be lightly browned, and the caramel will be bubbling around the edges.
- Allow the bars to cool completely before cutting into bars with a sharp knife.
- Category: Bars
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: carmelitas, oatmeal bars