Yesterday we made the Classic Butter Croissants, and now I am going to show you how to modify them to make them into Chocolate Croissants – Pain au Chocolate! These chocolate croissants have soft, flaky, sheets of buttery goodness surrounding soft gooey chocolate.
- 4–8 ounces good-quality baker’s chocolate (like Ghiradelli) You can use semi-sweet, milk or dark chocolate, whichever you prefer!
- Large granulated sugar to sprinkle on the top of the croissants
Be sure to follow the recipe from Classic Butter Croissants up until the section titled “Forming your Classic Butter Croissants.” Instead, you will follow the instructions below to create the Chocolate Croissants.
- With the dough still folded, cut the dough in half using a sharp knife (see image M). Place one of the halves back in the refrigerator. Roll out the remaining half into a 12×16 inch rectangle.
- Split the rectangle in half so that you have a (2) 6×16 inch strip (see image Q). Cut each strip into four equal sized rectangles (see image R).
- Chop the chocolate. I used Ghiradelli bar chocolate. I cut each square into three slices, and put two to three slices on each croissant end (see image S.) Roll up the croissant, starting from the chocolate side (see image T.) Looking at the sides, if there are any edges or chocolate sticking out, poke it back in using your fingers to help seal up the end a bit.
- Place these on a baking sheet lined with parchment and allow it to proof for 2 hours at room temperature. Try to find a warm place that is free of drafts.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Brush the croissants with an egg wash, and sprinkle some large granulated sugar on the tops. Bake for 15 minutes, or until they are a rich golden brown. You will want to rotate the pan halfway through. (I was so excited to finally get the croissants in the oven that I forgot the egg wash and sugar, so they don’t look as golden brown as they should look. Such a bummer, but they taste fantastic!)
- To make the Chocolate Croissants, you will first need to follow the Classic Butter Croissants recipe until the section labeled Forming your Classic Butter Croissants. Replace that section with the instructions above to make the Chocolate Croissants – Pain au Chocolat. Get the Classic Butter Croissants recipe card at: https://whiskingupyum.com/classic-butter-croissants/
- Want to make half Classic Butter Croissants and half Chocolate Croissants? Simply, make each style from the cuts in image M (shown in the instructions below.)
- Use a good quality baking chocolate like Ghirardelli. The purpose of this is so that the chocolate stays soft even after cooling down.
- Category: Pastry
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: French
Keywords: Chocolate Croissant - Pain au Chocolat