This Easy Powdered Sugar Icing recipe is sure to become your go-to recipe for icing cookies and treats. It is quick to throw together, mistake-proof and so delicious!
- 2–1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla (or any flavoring you choose)
- 6–8 teaspoons milk, depends on your desired consistency
- Food coloring
- Combine the powdered sugar and vanilla. Add 5 teaspoons of milk and combine together. Slowly add more until you get to your desired consistency. I prefer to make the icing between 6 and 7 teaspoons of milk- which should be on the runnier side.
- Choose the food coloring that you want to use, and split the icing into however many bowls you need. One bowl per color. Add your desired coloring and mix well with a small spoon. Continue to add the food dye until you get the color intensity you are wanting.
- Use the spoon to spread onto the cookie. Apply any sprinkles that you want to use now while it is still wet.
- Place iced cookies in a single layer in a sealed container, allow the icing to set in a cool area for several hours or overnight.
Try these sugar cookie recipes: Easy Traditional Sugar Cookie Recipe
There really is no wrong way to make this icing. You can control how thick or thin you want it by adjusting the amount of milk you use. I like to make this icing wet and runny, but you can make it however you prefer to work with it.