These Finnish Star Cookies are adorable with their pinwheel shape. They have a lemon cream cheese dough with a dollop of raspberry preserves wrapped in the pinwheel center. It has a perfect sweet to tart ratio and is as lovely to eat as it is to look at.
- 2–1/4 cup (290 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teapsoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 6 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup (196 grams) sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest (about 1 lemon)
- 2 large eggs, divided
- 3/4 cup preserves
- Do not preheat the oven. This recipe requires chill time.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together all-purpose flour, baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and cream cheese. Beat for one minute until well combined. Add sugar and lemon zest and cream together for about two minutes until light and fluffy. Add in one egg, and mix until well combined. Slowly add in the dry ingredients on low speed until thoroughly incorporated. Use a rubber spatula to clean down the sides of the bowl and combine the ingredients back into the dough.
- Separate the dough into two portions, wrap each in saran wrap and place in the fridge for a minimum of one hour, or until firm.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line the baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Roll out one of the dough packs (keep the other pack in the fridge until needed) on a lightly floured surface until 1/8 inch thick. Cut into 3-1/2″ squares either using a cookie cutter or using a knife. Transfer the squares onto the lined baking sheet, about 1-1/2 inches apart.
- In the center of the squares, drop a teaspoon of raspberry preserves. Take a knife and gently cut from each point of the square up to the preserves. Pull up one side of the cut triangle and gently fold it to the center of the preserves. Continue to do this on the three other sides, and secure the tips together by gently pressing the dough together.
- Next, you will prepare the egg wash, by whisking one egg and lightly brushing it on to the tops of the Finnish Star Cookies.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the edges are golden and the cookies are slightly puffed. Let cool on baking sheet for about five minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Finnish
Keywords: Finnish Star Cookies