This Gingersnap Cheesecake Trifle with Caramel is a high impact, rich dessert, with beautiful layers. It’s creamy with the perfect combination of molasses, cloves, cinnamon, and caramel. Serve this at your next holiday party and be prepared for all the compliments you will get!
Whipped Cream (or store-bought)
- 2.5 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup (69 grams) powdered sugar
- 1–1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 16 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar (114 g)
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of cloves
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 20 ounces whipped cream (can use store-bought)
- 14 ounces gingersnap cookies (or store-bought)
- 1 cup caramel sauce
When assembling the trifle, always keep an eye on the outside of the bowl to make sure that the layers look visually organized and pretty.
Homemade Whipped Cream
- In a large bowl combine heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla using a handheld or stand mixer. Start on a slow speed, making sure to incorporate any ingredients cling to the sides of the bowl. Slowing build up speed to medium and continue to beat until soft peaks form. When you move the cream with a spatula it will stay stiff and not easily fall back into place. This usually takes about 3-5 minutes. Set aside.
Whipped Cream/Cream Cheese Filling
- Add the softened cream cheese and sugar to a large bowl. Using a handheld or stand mixer mix the brown sugar and cream cheese until smooth. Add in the ginger, cinnamon, cloves, molasses (tip: spray the measuring spoon with cooking spray and the molasses will easily pour out of the measuring spoon) and milk and mix well. Take another look and make sure the cream cheese has been thoroughly creamed. If you see any clumps remaining, continue to beat the mixture until the mixture is completely smooth.
- Add in the whipped cream and gently fold together. Use a large spoon and bring the contents at the bottom of the bowl and lift it to the top. Continue to do this until the mixture is thoroughly combined.
Assemble the Triffle
- Pull a few cookies to reserve for decorating the top of the trifle before serving. Crumble remaining cookies into large chunks. Pour half of the crumbled cookies into the bottom of the trifle bowl and spread out to create a level layer. Reserve the other half for the cookie crumbs for the next gingersnap cookie layer.
- The next layer is the whipped cream/cream cheese filling. Split the mixture into four parts, making sure that the top layer has a bit more of the mixture than the other layers. Spread one of the filling portions on top of the cookie crumb layer. Use a spoon to spread the mixture evenly along the top and making sure to smooth the mixture all the way to the edges of the bowl.
- The next layer is the caramel. Spread a 1/2 cup of the caramel evenly on the layer. It is a little bit difficult to control the spread all the way to the edges, so I drizzled a bit of the caramel along the edges of the bowl before pouring into the center and spreading.
- Continue to do additional layers in this order: whipped cream/cream cheese filling, cookie, whipped cream/cream cheese filling, caramel, and then the final layer of the whipped cream/cream cheese filling.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve, or at least 4 hours. Making it a day ahead of time allows the flavors to fully bloom, so I highly recommend giving it the additional time if you can.
- Just before serving, crumble and scatter the remaining gingersnap cookies.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: No-Bake
- Cuisine: American