This Italian Almond Cake recipe took me by surprise. The first time I had it, I was not expecting it to be anywhere NEAR this delicious! It’s a sweet, dense cake with a nutty almond flavor and a hint of lemon flavor. It’s a really simple recipe and such a delicious dessert!
- 1–1/4 (155 grams) cup flour
- 1/2 cup (55 grams) almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 grams) baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (3 grams) salt
- 3/4 cup (170 grams) butter
- 1–1/4 cups (245 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon (2 grams) grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3/4 cup (70 grams) sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon (14 grams) granulated sugar
- Preheat your oven to 325°F/163°C, and grease your springform pan on the bottom and side of the pan. I used a 9-inch springform pan.
- In a medium bowl, you will want to whisk together the all-purpose flour, almond flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Then, in a large microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter. Whisk the sugar into the melted butter until thoroughly incorporated.
- Whisk in the eggs.
- Next, add in the lemon zest, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Stir until combined well.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients into the butter mixture in several additions, being sure to incorporate all of the ingredients well between each addition.
- Pour the Italian almond cake batter into the prepared springform pan and level off.
- Sprinkle the coarse sugar on top of the batter, and then spread the almond slices on top of the cake.
- Bake the cake for about 30-35 minutes in the middle position in the oven. You can check to see if the cake is done by inserting a toothpick into the center of the pan. If the toothpick comes out clean it is done. If it comes out wet, add additional baking time and test it again.
- Let the cake cool completely before removing the almond cake from the springform pan. If it is sticking to the sides of the pan, you can use a butter knife to go around the edge of the cake to release it from the side of the pan.
- Category: cake
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: italian almond cake