These no-Bake Special K Bars, also known as Scotcheroos, are chock full of peanut butter, chocolate, and butterscotch. They are thick, chewy and so tasty they will be gone before you know it!
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup white corn syrup
- 1–1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 6 cups Kellogs special k cereal (can also use rice krispies cereal)
- 2 cups (311 grams) chocolate chips
- 1 cup (156 grams) butterscotch chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- Butter the 9×13 pan. Really butter it well. Do not forget this step or you will really struggle to get your bars out of the pan! You can also line it with parchment paper and spray nonstick spray so that you can lift it out before cutting.
- Crush the cereal with your hands. It doesn’t need to be super fine. Crush it about 5-6 times.
- In a saucepan, over medium heat, bring the corn syrup and sugar to a boil. As soon as it boils turn off the heat. You want the sugar to be dissolved, but if you boil it too long your bars will become really hard.
- Add in the peanut butter and stir well until thoroughly incorporated.
- Add in the crushed cereal and combine well.
- Spread mixture into the 9×13 pan into an even layer. Use butter or non-stick spray on the spoon to help spread the mixture easily.
- Using a double boiler, melt the chocolate chips and butterscotch chips. You can also melt the chips in the microwave for 30 seconds at a time and stirring in between.
- Spread the chocolate in an even layer on top of the cereal mixture.
- Place the pan in the fridge for about 30 minutes until firm.
- Cut into bars.
- Category: Bars
- Method: No-Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: No-Bake Protein Bars, No Bake Scotcheroos