This beautiful strawberry poke cake is so quick and easy to make and perfect for any occasion or potluck!
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1 ¼ cups half and half
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup strawberry syrup (ice cream or pancake syrup)
- 8 ounces whipped topping, thawed
- ¼ cup strawberry jam
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 cups fresh whole strawberries, hulled and thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a 9×13 pan.
- In a large bowl, prepare the cake by mixing together the cake mix, half and half, vegetable oil and eggs. First, beat with an electric mixer on low speed for about 30 seconds, then increase it to medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Pour mixture into greased pan and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out moist, but clean. Let the cake cool for 20 minutes.
- Use the end of a mixing spoon or chopstick to make holes into the top of the cake. Space the holes about 1 inch apart, but you only need to press into the cake about 2/3 of the way.
- Pour the strawberry syrup into the holes. The holes don’t need to be filled up as the syrup will soak into the cake, but make sure you get all of the holes. Allow the cake to completely cool, about 35 minutes before spreading the whipped topping on top of the cake.
- Prepare the strawberry sauce by mixing the jam and sugar together. After it is mixed, combine with the strawberries until fully covered.
- Store the sauce and cake separately until ready to serve. This keeps well for several days if kept in a sealed container in the fridge.
- 8 ounces of whipped topping creates a very thin layer in the pan, if you want it to be extra creamy, go ahead and double the whipped topping!
- You can use homemade whipped cream, but if you aren’t eating it right away you will want to use the store-bought version as it keeps better.
- Category: Cake
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Strawberry Poke Cake, Poke Strawberry Cake, Strawberry Shortcake