If there is one treat that brings me back to childhood, it is puppy chow! Puppy chow is a delicious mixture of chocolate, peanut butter crunchy clusters covered in powdered sugar. This is a perfect summertime snack because it’s so quick to throw together and go, but is also a Christmastime treat!
- 1 cup semisweet or dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 6–7 cups Rice Chex cereal
- 1–2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- Melt the chocolate chips and peanut butter in a medium food safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds, stir, then microwave for 10 second increments until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Make sure you are stirring it between each microwave session.
- Place 6 cups of Rice Chex cereal into a large bowl.
- Pour the chocolate/peanut butter mixture onto the Rice Chex and stir together until the cereal is thoroughly covered. If you find that there is a chocolate puddle on the bottom of the bowl, you can add additional cereal- 1/4 cup at a time until you find that the puddle is absorbed. I found that the 6 cups was perfect, but you may want to add more.
- Once you have it well mixed, allow the mixture to come to room temperature or cooler before adding in the confectioner’s sugar. I put the bowl into the fridge for a few minutes. It is important to allow the chocolate to cool down or the confectioner’s sugar will absorb into the chocolate and become a chocolate disaster when you try to eat it!
- Once the chocolate has cooled down, add in 1 cup of confectioner’s sugar and mix well. Add more confectioner’s sugar if needed to ensure even coverage.
Stores well for up to one week in an airtight container. If you live in a hot climate, you may store it in the fridge to prevent the chocolate from melting.
- Category: Snacks
- Method: No Bake