This Quick and Easy Strawberry Galette has the deliciousness of a strawberry pie, but without all the added work and fuss of making a pie. This Strawberry Gallete is flavored with balsamic vinegar to give it a subtle pop of flavor, and features a super flaky crust. It’s sooo good!
- 1–1/4 cups (160 grams) all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling out the dough, spooned and leveled
- 2 teaspoons (9 grams) sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon (2 grams) kosher salt
- 1/2 cup (109 grams) unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 3–4 tablespoons ice water
- Egg wash:
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream or water
- 3–1/2 cups (510 grams) strawberries
- 1/3 cup (65 grams) sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon basalmic vinegar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
Make the crust
- In a large bowl, combine all-purpose flour, 2 teaspoons sugar, kosher salt, and butter. Use a pastry cutter to cut the butter into the flour mixture. Continue to cut the butter until you have coarse crumbs and the butter is pea-sized or smaller.
- In a small bowl, add some ice cubes to the water and stir it with a spoon. Remove the ice. Add a tablespoon of ice water at a time into the mixture and stir well between additions.
- When the dough starts to clump together, use your hands to form a ball. If the dough crumbles apart, add a little more water. You will most likely use between 3-4 tablespoons of water. I used about 3-1/2 tablespoons.
- You do not want the dough to be sticky. On a lightly floured surface, fold the dough into itself a few times to thoroughly incorporate the flour and butter. It is okay to have chunks of butter in the dough. The butter chunks will help add the flakiness texture.
- Press the dough with your hand into a 1-inch thick round disk and wrap with plastic wrap. Place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. While you are waiting for your dough to chill, you can start to make the strawberry filling.
Prepare the filling
- In a large bowl, combine the strawberries, 1/3 cup sugar, cornstarch, and balsamic vinegar until thoroughly mixed. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, and line your baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- After your dough is chilled for thirty minutes, lightly flour your work surface and roll out the dough to an 18″ round. To maintain the round shape as you roll out the dough, you will want to continually rotate the dough about 1/8 turn at a time so that it gets rolled out evenly.
- Transfer the dough to the prepared baking sheet. Add the strawberry mixture into the middle, leaving about a 2-inch edge around the border, and fold the edges up and over the strawberries so it only overlaps the tops of the strawberries about an inch or two.
- Prepare an egg wash by whisking together an egg with the heavy cream or water. Use a pastry brush to apply the egg wash to the exposed surfaces of dough.
- Bake for 26-30 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling. Allow the galette to cool completely.
Make the whipped cream
- Chill your mixing bowl in the freezer for about 10-15 minutes. Add whipping cream, sugar and vanilla to the bowl and mix on medium-low speed. Continue to mix until stiff peaks form.
Serve your Quick and Easy Strawberry Galette
- Cut your galette into wedges and top with the whipped cream.
- Category: Pie
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Strawberry Galette, Quick and easy strawberry galette