Soft, gooey caramel sandwiched between two layers of salty cookie dough. This dessert satisfies all your dessert cravings in one bite!
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2–1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 10 ounces soft caramels, unwrapped
- 1 teaspoon flaked sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9×13 baking pan with tinfoil. Spray tinfoil with a heavy coat of nonstick cooking spray.
- Cream together butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar
- Add in eggs, kosher salt, baking soda, and flour. Mix well, making sure to scrape the bowl clean.
- Using a spatula, add in the chocolate chips and stir together until fully incorporated.
- Split the dough in half. Take one half of the dough and spread onto the bottom of the pan, coating the bottom evenly. It will be a very thin layer. If needed, take a bit extra from the second half to fully fill the bottom of the pan. Make sure there are no gaps in the cookie dough. Set aside.
- Place sweetened condensed milk and unwrapped caramel pieces into a medium saucepan on medium-low heat. Stirring until caramels are all melted and the mixture is creamy and smooth.
- Pour caramel mixture over the cookie mixture, using a spatula to spread the caramel evenly.
- Drop the remaining cookie dough in small teaspoon sized balls on the top of the caramel. There will be gaps, but the cookie dough will spread and cover the top of the caramel as it bakes.
- Bake bars for 25-30 minutes until the center is just set.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and allow the bars to cool completely before removing from pan.
- Using the tinfoil, lift bars from the pan, and cut.
Placing bars in the fridge for a bit before cutting will help firm up the caramel sauce and make it easier to cut. Bars will stay fresh in a sealed container for up to 3 days, at room temperature.
Don’t forget to give the recipe 5 stars if you love these salted caramel bars!
- Category: Bars
- Method: baking
Keywords: salted caramel chocolate chip cookie bars, cookie bars