OMIGOD!! These Soft Homemade Twix Cookies are going to the TOP of my Christmas baking list this year! We’re talking about smooth caramel spread on top of a soft sugar cookie with a dollop of milk chocolate. Sooo goood! I dare you to stop at one cookie!
While these cookies are really easy to make, they do have quite a bit of wait time as things need to cool between steps. But, these are worth the wait…. so, have patience, my friend.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1–1/2 cup flour, scooped and leveled
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 20 soft caramels, unwrapped
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoons shortening
- In a large bowl, you will cream together the butter and granulated sugar until it is smooth and creamy.
- Add in the egg white and vanilla extract and mix well.
- Combine in the flour and baking powder.
- At this point the dough may be a little crumbly. Use your hands to work it together and it will come together after a bit. If the dough is too soft, you will want to place it in a covered bowl in the refridgerator. I had it in the fridge for two hours. It was a bit too firm and I had to let it warm up a bit before I could roll it out easily.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line your baking pans with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Lightly flour your work surface and rolling pin. Roll out the dough so that it is approximately 1/4″ thick. Cut out the cookies using a cookie-cutter, being sure to dip it into flour between each cut. Transfer cookies to lined cookie pan. These cookies do not spread much during baking.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes. The cookies will be slightly puffy and no longer glossy. Transfer cookies to cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
- Add soft caramels and milk to a small microwave-safe bowl, and microwave for a minute, being sure to stir at 30 seconds. Mix the caramel mixture well until it is smooth and creamy. Use a spoon to carefully scoop and spread the caramel sauce (about 2 teaspoons) on the top of each of the cookies. Use the back of the spoon to spread on the surface, being sure not to get too close to the edge or it will run off. Allow caramel to set for about twenty minutes before moving to the next step.
- Once the caramel is set, place the chocolate and shortening in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave in 30 second increments, stirring in between, until the chocolate is mostly melted. Use a spoon to stir until the chocolate is smooth and creamy. Use the spoon to scoop dollops of chocolate onto the tops of the caramel. You can use the spoon to spread the chocolate out a bit, but I like to have some of the caramel peeking out.
- Allow the chocolate to completely set before serving.
The soft caramels will never completely firm up. They will set, but you will want to store in the refrigerator and keep them flat.
Do not use a hard caramels like the Kraft caramels. They will firm up, but they will become very hard to bite through.
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Twix cookie recipe