This Classic Moist Chocolate Cake paired with this Chocolate Buttercream Frosting from Scratch is ridiculously flavorful. It’s rich and chocolatey, with a hint of coffee to enhance the chocolate flavor. This is the best chocolate cake I have had!
- 2 cups (260 grams) all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 2 cups (400 grams) granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (60 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons (11 grams) baking powder
- 1–1/2 teaspoons (10 grams) baking soda
- 1 teaspoon (8 grams) salt
- 1 teaspoon (2 grams) espresso powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- Chocolate Buttercream From Scratch Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Prep two 9 inch cake pans using non-stick cooking spray and parchment paper. Check out this post on How to Prep Cake Pans for Baking.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and espresso powder.
- After the dry ingredients are thoroughly combined, add in the milk, vegetable oil, eggs and vanilla extract. Using your mixer, combine ingredients together on medium speed until well incorporated.
- Reduce speed and carefully add the boiling water until well combined. At this point the batter will be very wet and runny.
- Split the batter evenly between the two cake pans and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Frost cake with my Chocolate Buttercream From Scratch recipe.