These Easy Classic Lemon Bars are everything you would expect to from a Lemon Bar. The smooth lemon curd is a perfect combination of tart and sweet, the thickness of the crust lends the perfect ratio of crust-to-filling so that you can thoroughly appreciate all the flavors together!
- 1–1/4 cups (150 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (50 grams) confectioner’s sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold
- 1–1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon of lemon zest (zest from 1 lemon)
- 2/3 cup lemon juice (juice from 3 lemons)
- Confectioner’s sugar, for dusting before serving
Preparing the Crust
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare your baking dish by spraying down the pan. Add parchment paper so that it fits inside the baking dish, but extends over the pan a few inches on two opposite sides. Go ahead and give it another spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, salt, and cut in the butter using a pastry cutter or fork, until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. If you touch the crust mixture, it will feel soft and be easily moldable in your hands.
- Spread the mixture in an even layer in the bottom of your prepared baking dish. Then, using your hands or the back of a spoon press down to compress the crust into an even layer.
- Bake for 20 minutes. It should have a slightly golden brown color to it.
Preparing the Filling
- Whisk together the granulated sugar, all-purpose flour, eggs, zest and lemon juice together, making sure that the everything is thoroughly incorporated and that the egg is completely broken down.
- Pour the filling over the crust and bake for 25 minutes, or until the custard is set.
- Allow the classic lemon bars to cool completely at room temperature. After it is completely cooled, you can carefully lift out the bars.
- Cut the bars into squares and dust with confectioner’s sugar, just before serving.
- Bubbles rising to the top of the pan is completely normal and will be covered with confectioners sugar just before serving.
- These classic lemon bars can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for a day or two. If you need it to last longer, you will want to store it in the freezer until you are ready to serve it.
- Category: Bars
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Easy Classic Lemon Bars